R & J Sign was founded by Roy “Bud” Smith and John Carroll in March 1959. Original operations were run out of Bud’s 2-car garage, and focused on screen printed signs. Hard work and long hours logged by Bud, John, and Florence Carroll, helped the business thrive during the 60’s and 70’s necessitating several relocations to larger facilities which allowed for growth and expansion into manufacturing sign frames and wholesale product sales.
The 80’s began with Barry and Mike Carroll joining their parents in the business as Bud sold his share of the business to John and Florence. This decade proved to be a time of transformation for R & J Sign as we began a strong shift from silk screen sign production to wholesale sign supplies. R & J Sign Supply Company was created to reflect our new business focus, and we made the move to our present location in “The Hill” neighborhood of south St. Louis.
We embarked on a new era in the 90’s as John and Florence retired, and sold the business to Barry and Mike. They continue to advance the company by evolving their product offerings to fit the ever changing sign and display industry. In addition to providing all of the necessary low-tech sign supplies such as banners, vinyl, and substrates, we expanded into high-tech digital print media, printable heat transfer films, cutting plotters, printers and design and cutting software.
We happily celebrated our 50 year anniversary in March of 2009, and thank all of our valued customers
for helping us achieve such an amazing milestone.
We look forward to many years of continued service in this industry and hope all of you will join us on our journey.